This Secondary Solutions Literature Guide for teaching Homer's Odyssey features 139 pages of Common Core and NCTE/IRA standards-based materials for grades 8-10.
PLEASE NOTE: Page numbers in the Guide refer to the Stanley Lombardo translation of the Odyssey, ISBN 978-0872204843, ©2000.
Please also note that the materials in this product may have to be
altered and/or redesigned to align with your version of the Odyssey, especially in the case of abridged versions in textbooks.
- Complete list of Pre-Reading Ideas and Activities
- Article and corresponding questions on Homer
- Articles on the Genre of Mythology, the Epic Hero, and the Epic Poem
- Article on Exploring the English Language: The Greek Alphabet
- Odyssey Terms and Character List
- Map of Character Relationships from the Odyssey
- Anticipation Guide/Pre-Reading Reflection
- Questions on the Introduction to the Odyssey
- Note-Taking and Summarizing Activities for each book
- Vocabulary Builder activities that can be used with any translation
- Comprehension Check Questions
- Standards Focus activities on Character Types, Telemachus's Resume, Dramatic Irony, Ambiguity,
- Imagery, Point of View, Figures of Speech--Simile and Metaphor, Personification, Foreshadowing, Symbolism and Allegory, Conflict and Effect, Theme
- Reading comprehension Quiz every two books
- Two Final Exam versions
- Teacher Guide with Sample Agenda, Plot Overview and Sequence of Adventures, Structure of the Odyssey
- Graphic Organizer on the Structure of the Odyssey
- Post-Reading Activities and Alternative Assessment
- Essay/Writing Ideas
- Two Project Rubrics
- Response to Literature Rubric
- Complete Answer Key
Cover Painting “Odysseus Slaying the Suitors” by Heather Mauldin Copyright © 2011 by Heather Mauldin
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL SECONDARY
SOLUTIONS MATERIALS ARE COPYRIGHTED AND ANY MISUSE OR VIOLATION OF THIS
COPYRIGHT IS ILLEGAL. THIS PRODUCT IS FOR USE BY ONE TEACHER ONLY,
AND IS FULLY REPRODUCIBLE FOR HIS OR HER STUDENTS ONLY. ILLEGAL COPYING,
SHARING, DISPLAY, OR STORAGE (INCLUDING DIGITAL) WILL BE PROSECUTED. BULK DISCOUNTS ARE AVAILABLE.